SUBJECT: SERVICE PROCEDURE – MODEL 350 HYDRAULIC FORK
The correct procedure for servicing this new 350 fork is as follows:
REMOVAL OF FORK MEMBER
- Remove front wheel and mudguard.
- Loosen the lower bracket pinch bolt.
- Loosen the upper bracket anchor cap two turns and tap with a soft hammer to loosen the taper end of the upper fork tube from the upper bracket.
- Remove the anchor cap and lower the fork member out of the brackets.
DISASSEMBLY OF FORK MEMBER
- Support the fork member in a vise by the axle end fitting.
- Compress the spring by pushing the upper tube into the lower tube. Remove the plunger rod nut (Tool #150119) from the recess at the top of the fork, then release the tension on the spring.
- Remove the oil seal retaining ring from the lower fork tube.
- Pull or bump the upper tube to free the oil seals and bushing from the top of the lower tube. Lift the upper tube until clear of the spring and plunger rod.
- Lift of f the stop tube, washer and spring.
- Pour the fluid out of the lower tube.
- Remove the plunger seat nut located inside the lower end fitting.
- Lift out the plunger assembly, fork rubber cushion ring and plunger seat gasket.
DISASSEMBLY OF PLUNGER
- Place two nuts on the plunger seat screw and lock them together securely.
- Hold these nuts while loosening the plunger tube nut.
- Lift plunger tube off the rod. Remove the nut and seal from the tube.
ASSEMBLY OF PLUNGER
- Place the seal and nut over the plunger tube and feed the rod through the tube.
- Assemble the seat screw and tube and secure firmly.
ASSEMBLY OF FORK MEMBER
- Hold the lower tube in a vise by the axle end fitting .
- Place fork cushion ring in position in the lower tube.
- Coat the seat gasket with grease to hold it in place on the seat screw while lowering the plunger into the lower tube.
- Install the lockwasher and nut and secure firmly.
- Pour eight ounces of fork fluid into the lower tube. Use Indian Fork Fluid, No. l, 163001.
- Place the spring over the plunger and place the stop washer, then the stop tube over the rod.
- Place the plunger rod assembling tool (#150108) in the end of the plunger rod and assemble the upper tube in to the lower tube.
- Place the bushing over the upper tube and push into position in the lower tube. Install the oil seal with the lip down, the felt seal, the steel washer and retaining ring.
- Compress the spring by holding down on the upper tube. Guide the flat sided end of the plunger rod into position through the hole at the upper end. Install the lockwasher and nut and secure firmly.
INSTALLATION OF FORK MEMBER
- Raise the fork member into position in the brackets.
- Install and tighten the anchor cap.
- Tighten the lower bracket pinch bolt.
FILLING THE FORKS ON MOTORCYCLES
- Support the motorcycle vertically with the front wheel just touching the floor.
- Remove the anchor caps and loosen the plunger rod nuts (Tool #150119). Place the plunger rod tool (#150108) in the plunger rod and remove the nut.
- Remove the fork drain screw and allow all of the fluid to drain.
- Replace the drain screw and washer and secure firmly.
- Pour eight ounces of fork fluid into each member. Use Indian Fork Fluid, No. 1, 163001.